Saturday, February 7, 2015

College students are self-referring for Emotional Intelligence Coaching




“College life for most freshmen is emotionally challenging. The security and comfort of old relationships are interrupted, bringing feelings of grief, or loss, or of being at sea—in spite of being surrounded by hundreds (often thousands) of new peers. In the context of those ruptures, the desire to connect can lead kids to make unsatisfying or poor choices, perhaps even socializing with people they don’t really like. Some freshmen bring with them unresolved interpersonal difficulties from high school or family life, which complicates their adjustment.”

Students experiencing any of the issues mentioned above are reluctant to seek counseling or psychotherapy based on the stigma associated with mental illness. While emotional intelligence coaching is not an intervention for the treatment of nervous or mental disorders, it is proving to be effective with many of the common problems associated with challenging situations experienced by new college students.

Many of these students need practical emotional intelligence skills. Emotional Intelligence Assessments are designed to identify the student’s level of competence in EI scales such as, self-awareness, self-control, empathy, impulse control, relationship management and other skills needed for success in school, work and interpersonal relationships.

There is a growing body of research that suggests that the skills of emotional intelligence such as the ability to reason with and about emotions to achieve goals are correlated with positive outcomes across the entire age spectrum, from preschool through adulthood. Emotions affect learning, decision-making, creativity, relationships, and health. People with more developed EI skills do better in life, school and work. Among college students, skills of emotional intelligence are linked to engaging in fewer risky behaviors.

The millenniums have discovered “emotional intelligence coaching” and they like it. A simple announcement on our website regarding the Anderson & Anderson, APC six-month skill enhancement has lead to a steady flow of high school and college students enrollees.

Here are some of the reasons listed for seeking assistance by these self-referred clients:

·      I would like to become more social.
·      My friends say that I am always angry.
·      I lose my temper a lot.
·      I have a bad relationship with my parents.
·      My grades went down because of my partying.
·      I am on academic probation but I am not a bad student.
·      My girlfriend says that I am immature.
·      I am having a hard time adjusting to dorm life.
·      I have never been this stressed in my life.
·      It’s hard to trust anyone who is competing against you.
·      I have been drinking and using drugs with my fraternity.

Emotional intelligence coaching generally includes Pre and Post EI assessments, client workbooks, Dvds and weekly coaching sessions either live or via Skype.

Emotional Intelligence coaching for college students can be an additional income stream for Emotional Intelligence Coaches.






No comments:

Post a Comment